British Gas – Generation Green 2014
British Gas wanted to inject new energy and dynamism into its schools programme, Generation Green, which aims to get young people interested in energy and inspire the next generation of innovators.
Working with the National Schools Partnership, we were challenged to come up with an idea that had curiosity and innovation at its heart, would engage teachers, children and their parents at scale and increase British Gas’s brand affinity.
How we did it:
Our strategy was to combine the three pillars of Generation Green – learning resources, educational experiences and Energy Makeovers – under one creative theme of Innovative Energy.
We launched a nationwide competition for schools to win an Energy Makeover by competing on a dancefloor made from Pavegen tiles, which harvest the wasted energy from footsteps to generate energy.
KS2 and KS3 teachers were sent free lesson plans to teach their class about innovative energy and the practical exercise formed their competition entry.
Six winning schools from around the country were then chosen to compete in the dance-off at Westfield Stratford. Judged by Diversity stars Jordan and Perri, three schools were awarded an Energy Makeover worth up to £150,000.
Video content and imagery were produced at each stage of the campaign and seeded via PR, social and partner activity with Fun Kids Radio, Diversity and Westfield to broaden the reach of the campaign beyond schools.
Following the national schools final at Westfield, the event was opened up to communities and the public for a further three days, with the energy generated by the dancefloor powering a giant camera to capture images.
• The competition generated over 500 entries from schools around the UK and reached over 50,000 teachers
• The event reached an estimated 392,000 people over the four day period and delivered significant increases in brand consideration and trust amongst visitors
• Over 80 pieces of PR coverage achieved including national news and regional broadcast
• Social support delivered an OTS of over 4 million with 2,500 direct engagements
• Record traffic figures to the Generation Green website with 65% of traffic in key months coming from new users and social, Fun Kids Radio and organic search all featuring as top 5 drivers